Friday, August 08, 2008

Glazed Gingery Spareribs

It's been more than a year since I cooked, hence the paucity of recipes from this blog. Since we moved to our apartment last month, I've been cooking everyday, mostly recipes from my collection. Lately, I've been trying out some new recipes. This is one I cooked yesterday. It's very similar to the Asian-Style Pork Chops that I've tried several times. Instead of baking though, this one is braised. It's from Madhur Jaffrey's Far Eastern Cookery. The recipe calls for pork ribs, but I used pork loin chops.

1 kg (2 lb) pork spareribs or pork loin chops
6 tablespoons dark soy sauce
6 tablespoons sugar
1-inch cubes fresh ginger (I used minced ginger)
3 spring onions (I didn't have this ingredient)
3 tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry

Separate the spareribs individually and then cut them into 3-inch lengths. (Use a cleaver of heavy knife to cut through the bone or persuade your butcher to do this for you if possible.)

Put the spareribs in a wide, preferably non-stick pan. Add the soy sauce and sugar. Peel and lightly crush the ginger cubes and add them to the pan. Add the whole spring onions also. Pour in the rice wine or sherry and 1 litre (1-3/4 pints) water. Bring to the boil. Cover, turn the heat to medium-low and simmer fairly vigorously for 45 minutes. Turn the meat around every 10 minutes or so to allow even colouring. Remove the lid from the pan and turn the heat to high. Remove and discard the ginger and spring onions. Cook for another 20 minutes or so or until the liquid is thick and syrupy. It should coat the ribs with an even, dark glaze. You may need to stir the ribs around a few times during this period.

No comments: