Saturday, August 09, 2008

Cooking Day

Today is cooking day. We went to the grocery this morning and I got some round steak, chicken breasts and drumsticks, and ground pork. With the round steak I was able to make tapa and bulgogi (both are still marinating overnight) and I was about to make beef bourguignon when we realized that we didn't have a corkscrew to open the bottle of red wine. Bitin! I already prepared the other ingredients which will now have to be stored until we buy the corkscrew tomorrow.

It's my son's first time to see ground pork. He calls it worm meat because they look like worms and he's curious to see how it will look when it's cooked.

Another purchase I made was spaghetti squash. I wanted crookneck squash, but the grocery didn't have any. I've been curious about spaghetti squash, which looks like ordinary squash when raw, but when cooked the flesh falls away like ribbons or strands, hence the name. I've been looking at several recipes and haven't decided how to prepare it. I do know that I would like to roast/toast the seeds (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/snacks/r/pumpkinseeds.htm) . I've been craving for "butong pakwan" that the other day I bought a small bag of trail mix, but discarded the almonds. Got mostly pumpkin and sunflower seeds and cranberries.

Aside from cooking, I made my usual chocolate chip-oatmeal cookies, but added some slivered almonds this time, which made the cookies taste even better. Whenever I make a batch, my son always reminds me of the comment one of his classmates said about the cookies (the best chocolate chip cookies he's tasted). I used my Kitchen-Aid mixer, which has been idle for over a year. Maybe even two. I hope to use it more often this time.


No comments: