Friday, May 01, 2009

Better-for-You Black Bean Chili

Whenever I go to the library, no matter what I do, I always gravitate towards the cookbook section. I was glad I found this cookbook called, WomenHeart's All Heart Family Cookbook. So far, the two recipes I've tried were good.

I know - another chili recipe. But I like this as it has sweet potatoes or "camote". I've never been a fan of camote until recently. Served it with zaa'tar bread.

Bingo! Almost every single ingredient in this quick, satisfying chili is a heart healthy food. Take the time to thoroughly rinse canned beans before draining and reduce the sodium content by up to 30 percent.

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (14.5 oz each) no-salt-added whole tomatoes with juice, chopped
1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chile peppers, drained
1 ripe avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and chopped (optional)

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and potato and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, and chile peppers. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potato is tender. Spoon the chili into bowls and top each serving with some of the avocado.

Serves 6.
Per serving: 234 calories, 94 calories from fat, 11 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 7 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 7 g protein

No comments: