Friday, April 01, 2011

Compound Butters

I enjoy reading cookbooks and while I told myself several times that I should stop borrowing cookbooks, I currently have 5 books at home. Let's Cook Japanese Food! hasn't disappointed yet. All three recipes I've tried got my family's seal of approval. I haven't tried anything from Heart of the Artichoke and Other Kitchen Journeys although I wrote down a few of the recipes I would like to try. I don't know if I will have time though as the book is due on Monday and I know it's one of the most sought after books, so I'm sure I won't be able to renew it. I love how Cooking Light's Way to Cook: The Complete Visual Guide to Everyday Cooking and Way to Cook Vegetarian is laid out and I plan to go over the books this week-end and try some of the recipes. The latest book I checked out today is The Breakfast Book and while scanning it this morning, it seems to have some promising recipes.

One of the first things that caught my interest was how to make compound butter. Coincidentally, I found this video today.

Compound butters are ideal for entertaining and a simple way to give warm biscuits and bread a flavorful touch. To prepare, allow a stick of unsalted butter to soften at room temperature, and then choose your additions. The butter will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about three weeks.

1. Place a stick of softened, unsalted butter in a bowl, then stir in the chosen flavoring.
  • Sweet: 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, honey or maple syrup
  • Savory: 3 cloves of garlic, minced, and 1 tablespoon of chopped chives
  • Versatile: 1 tablespoon of grated citrus rind
2. Transfer the butter to a sheet of wax paper. Fold the edge over the butter, and roll it lengthwise into a log.

3. Twist the ends of the wax paper in opposite directions to seal. Chill for at least an hour before cutting.

No comments: