Friday, January 16, 2009

Shortcut Chili

Here's another recipe from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers. I'm slowly introducing more beans into our menu and I'm happy that my husband is starting to eat beans, which he normally does not eat. I did not have chipotles, so I used chili powder, but I am curious about how chipotles taste. I just hope it's not too spicy for my son. This recipe is good with tortilla chips.

There must be as many recipes for chili as there are cooks. This one has the surprising addition of lentils and the smoky spiciness of chipotles.

2 cups chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced canned chipotles in adobo sauce and/or 2 teaspoons chili powder
1 red or green pepper, diced
1 15-oz can of red kidney beans, drained
1 15-oz can of lentils, undrained
1 15-oz can of diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
sour cream (optional)

In a soup pot, saute the onions, garlic, and salt in the oil until soft, 5 to 10 minutes.

Add the chipotles and the bell peppers, cover, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the beans, lentils, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer on low heat for 5-1o minutes or until everything is hot. Stir in the cilantro. Serve topped with sour cream, if you wish.

Serves 4-6.

No comments: