Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Quinoa and Mushroom Skillet

I was diagnosed with anemia a few years ago and I probably still am anemic, but iron tablets don't quite agree with me so I've been looking for foods that are rich in iron. Quinoa happens to be one of them. I bought some cremini mushrooms today so I can try this recipe from Vegetarian Times' Fast & Easy cookbook.

Quinoa might be considered a “superfood” for its superb protein content, but it’s the unique nutty flavor of the tiny grain that wins cooks over. Try serving this accompanied by a salad of green and white cabbage with sliced apples, tossed in a ranch-style dressing.

* 2 Tbs. olive oil
* 1 medium-sized red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
* 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
* 2 cups vegetable stock
* 10 to 12 oz. cremini or baby bella mushrooms, sliced

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in quinoa, and cook, stirring often, 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Pour in stock.
3. Stir in mushrooms, cover and cook 15 minutes, or until stock is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper; serve hot.

No comments: