Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sauces for Ham

My nephew, Gino, surprised us with a 5-lb ham he ordered from a family-owned farm and delivered to our doorstep this morning; just in time for New Year's Eve! The problem is, I never prepared ham before so I was scrambling to find a recipe for the glaze. I was planning to bake the ham, but my sister suggested that I carve the ham, cook the number of slices I need and serve them with sauce instead, which is a great idea.

Here are several simple sauces I found on the internet:

1/4 c. water
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. catsup
1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 1/2 c. crushed pineapple with juice
1 1/4 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 c. water

Combine water, sugar, catsup, soy sauce, mustard and pineapple in saucepan. Bring to boil; simmer 10 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water; add to sauce. Cook stirring until clear. Serve over ham slices. Yield: About 4 cups sauce.

PINEAPPLE SAUCE FOR HAM

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1715,147161-230194,00.html
Content Copyright © 2010 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
1 lg. can pineapple chunks in juice
2 tbsp. cornstarch
Water
Mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch with equal amount of water or a little bit more to make mixture for gravy-sauce.

Pour pineapple juice into saucepan-gentle bring to a boil-stirring constantly.

Add cornstarch mixture until sauce thickens. (Optional) add cut up pieces of pineapple to sauce-also cherries.

Pour over cooked ham slices.




No comments: