Friday, October 23, 2009

Pork Stir-Fry

I bought about two kilos of ground pork a few weeks ago and still had about half a kilo in the freezer. I didn't want to make Arroz a la Cubana again so I was trolling the internet for ground pork recipes and found this at the Whole Foods website. I did not have all the ingredients on hand, such as lettuce and cilantro so I made my own version of the recipe and served this with rice. I wasn't too sure how it would taste, but my family loved it, so it's now been added to our family favorites.

Serves 4

Try this Chinese pork and veggie stir-fry spooned onto crisp lettuce leaves and topped with fresh cilantro and green onions.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pound ground pork
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 pound sliced button mushrooms (I used shiitake mushrooms)
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons dry sherry (I used rice wine)
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, plus more to taste
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce, plus more for dipping
1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
1 cup mung bean sprouts (optional)
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
1/3 bunch cilantro, chopped (I used basil)
12 leaves iceberg lettuce
2 green onions, thinly sliced

Method

Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add pork, salt and pepper and stir-fry until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and red onion and stir-fry until just softened, about 2 minutes. Add sherry, soy sauce and chili sauce and stir-fry for 2 minutes.

Add peppers, carrots, sprouts and celery and stir-fry until just tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer pork mixture to a large platter. Arrange cilantro, lettuce and green onions alongside pork and serve with extra chili sauce on the side, if you like.

Nutrition

Per serving (about 11oz/317g-wt.): 390 calories (250 from fat), 28g total fat, 10g saturated fat, 80mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium, 11g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 23g protein

No comments: