Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Brazilian Rice


We're suppose to have 7 servings of vegetables and fruits daily and yet I always forget to cook vegetables at dinner. One way of going around that is to add vegetables to rice! I did that the other day when I added diced carrots, peas and corn when I cooked rice. Then tonight I tried this recipe from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites.

Just a very small amount of oil creates a rich and more flavorful rice.

Serves 6-8

2 cups chopped onions
1 teaspoon vegetable oil (I use water; haven't used oil in months)
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups brown rice
3 cups water (2-1/4 cups water if using white rice)

In a covered saucepan, saute the onions in the oil for 5 minutes on medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Add the tomatoes and salt and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and water, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and gently simmer on a heat diffuser or on very low heat for about 40 minutes, until the rice is tender.

No comments: